Book Title: Epigraphia Indica Vol 07
Author(s): E Hultzsch
Publisher: Archaeological Survey of India

View full book text
Previous | Next

Page 162
________________ No. 18.) ARULALA-PERUMAL INSCRIPTION OF PRATAPARUDRA. 129 corresponds to Wednesday, the 16th June A.D. 1316, which was the 21st day of the month *** of Mithuna (Agi) and on which the 11th tithi (of the dark half of J yaishtha) ended 17 h. 47 m. after mean suprise. The two villages granted by Muppiời were Paiyyür, with the hamlets of Ayirachohêri and Gummidippundi, in the district of Paiyyûr-kóţtam, and Pondaipakkam in Kachchiyûrnádu. According to Mr. Crole's Manual of the Chingleput District (p. 438), Paiyyûrkottam formed part of the modern Popneri tåluka, and several villages which are stated to have been situated in that kottam have actually been traced in this taluka. Paiyyûr, tbe headquarters of the district, is not found on the map, but its position is indicated by its hamlet Gummidippûņdi. The whereabouts of Pondaipakkam and Kachchiyûr-nadu are settled by a copper-plate grant of Venkatapati, dated Saka-Samvat 1526, Krodhin, whore both Podavakam and Kachchur are stated to have belonged to Kachcbi-nadu, a subdivision of Ikkattu-kottam. According to the Chingleput Manual (p. 438), the district of Ikkattu-kottam corresponded to the modern Tiruvallûr tåluka and was subdivided into Kakkaļûr-nadu and Kachchi-nadu. Ikkadu, Kakkaļūr, and several other villages of Kakkaļür-nadu, Kachchûr-nådu and Malaya-nå du in Ikkattu-kottam, which are mentioned in the British Museum plates of Sadasivaraya, can still be traced on the mape of the Tiruval!ûr tåluka and the Kalahasti Zamindari. Pondaipakkam or Podavakam is also found on the former map as Pondavákkam, and Kachchiyûr, Kachchi or Kachchûr, the head-quarters of the nadu to which this village belonged, is represented on the second map by Kachchür, about one mile south of Pondavakkam. The river Velke mentioned in line 4 is the Vehka or Vegavati, which flows past the Aru!åļa-Perumal temple. The chief interest of this inscription lies in the statement that, in June 1316 A.D., Conjeeveram was tributary to the Kakatiya king Pratáparudra of Ekasilanagari, 1.6. Warangal.? Another inscription of Pratâparudra is found as far south as the Jambukėsvara temple near Trichinopoly.8 Three inscriptions of his at Bezvada (No. 306 of 1892), Warangal (No. 109 of 1902) and Palivela (No. 501 of 1893) are dated in Baka-Samvat 1220 (Vilambin), the Pramadi-samvatsara (i.e. Saka-Samyat 1235), and Saks-Samvat 1239 (Pingala). Who was the M&navira whom Prataparudra's general Muppidi installed as governor of KAñchi P An inscription of Saka-Samvat 1219, Hemalambin (= A.D. 1297-98), at Narasarávupêta (No. 213 of 1892) states that Manma-Gandagôpåla, Råya-Gandagópåla or Manuma. Gandagôpåladeva-Chodamah&råja, the eldest son of Nallesiddhi, was & subordinate of Prat&parudra and took possession of Kanchipura.10 An earlier chief of the same family, VijayaGandagöpfladeva, was also connected with Conjeeveram, where three of his inscriptions, dated in Saka-Samyat 1187, have been found. Two records of the Aru!!a-Perumal temple (Nos. 34 and 35 of 1893), dated in Saka-Samvat 1156 and 1127, belong to two other chiefs of the same family, Chla-Tikka and Tammusiddhi. Nallasiddhi, an uncle of Tammusiddhi. is stated to have occupied Kanohi. If it is borne in mind that several of these later Cholas 1 Above, Vol. IV. p. 9, and South-Ind. Tror. Vol. III. p. 118, notes 1 and 5: see also ibid. p. 189. • Gummidipandi is No. 199 on the Madrat Surrey Map of the Popperi taluks. • See my Progress Report for May to September 1890, p. 3, No. IX. • See above, Vol. IV. pp. 8, 9 and 10. No. 229 on the Madras Survey Map of the Tiruvallur taluks. • See South-Ind. Ineer. Vol. III. p. 186 and note 8; above, Vol. IV. p. 146 and note 6. 1 Ind. Ant. Vol. XXI. p. 198 and note 13. Ibid. p. 200. Tatradgrajarautó Manma-Gandagópola-badpatibi Pratá parvdra-bhd pasya prasdd-drijila-vaibharah I. 2. Kdjich pura-Tripura-Trinitra ocours among his birudas. 1. Ind. Ant. Vol. XXI. p. 122. 11 The second of these two inscriptions will be published by Dr. Lüders in this Journal. "See page 122 above.

Loading...

Page Navigation
1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522